WHAT IS ARCHITECTURE?
· Architecture is a very demanding discipline: it has a major impact on people and their daily lives. Architecture encompasses the design and production of a created environment, design studios, historical legacies, sustainability, construction and materials, presentation techniques, and urban design.
· Contrary to Establishment culture, ABU's Architecture department believes that learning historical architecture, and uniting functionality and aesthetic values as well as the natural and created environment is fundamental to learning good and creative design processes.
· Additionally, we pay special attention to our architectural legacy and historic landmarks as a way of protecting the unity of culture and identity.
GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT COURSES IN OUR DEPARTMENT
· The basic goal of our courses is to foster a holistic approach to architecture in our students. An education in architecture ranges widely from the humanitarian to the scientific disciplines. This wide-ranging and diverse approach requires strong flexibility.
· Architectural history, architecture design, mathematics, knowledge of construction, and architectural technologies all contribute to an education in architecture.
· Design strategies for keeping up with future trends in architecture, environmental sustainability, renewable energy and architecture, urban development, and balance and integrity in landscaping are some of the main topics covered in elective courses.
WHAT SHOULD I CONSIDER WHEN SELECTING A CAREER IN THIS DEPARTMENT?
· "To be an excellent architect, one must first have an excellent command of culture," is a well-known saying.
· It is necessary for students to be interested and participate in a wide range of cultural topics such as the fine arts, photography, the visual arts, including cinema, and also music and literature. Frequent visits should be made to great architectural works whenever possible. And drawing is certainly very important: it is the "language" of architectural projects and like a language can only be taught and learned through constant practice.
· The fundamental behavior expected of an architect is creativity. And creativity is a process that can only be realized through practice and by interacting with various aspects of a culture. Students of architecture should be just as curious about a wide range of the intellectual and practical activities of the people around them as they are with the natural and created environment.
WHERE CAN I WORK AFTER GRADUATING FROM THIS DEPARTMENT?
· Our first and primary purpose is to graduate designers and architects who are innovative and creative and are the best in their field, by educating them about contemporary norms and knowledge, providing them with international opportunities, and by teaching them at least two foreign languages. In this way, they will find employment opportunities both at home and abroad.
· Job possibilities include a private architectural practice, work as an architect at private companies, a career in the technical departments of public institutions, and work in museums or in preserving architectural sites.
· Students also have the opportunity to continue on to Master's and doctoral programs.
ARCHITECTURE AT ABU
· Established by Italian faculty, ABU's Architecture Department will help students discover and develop their potential during their education as architects; students will benefit from interacting with students from other countries, and this experience will inspire their work and broaden their cultural perspectives.
· The department is a fascinating crossroads for working on projects alongside different specialists and for experiencing working life as an architect. Since students must work closely together in groups, they get accustomed to and learn the value of teamwork.
· Students will be exposed to different methodologies and strategies, and will thus gain a strong critical grounding their field.
· Students graduating from ABU's Architecture Department will possess a grounding in fundamentals, and will be ready to attend any international university or apprentice at any international architectural firm.
· Additionally, students will have hands-on experience in their profession through their studies and summer internships at construction sites and architecture offices.