The Art of Interviewing
- An interview is a meeting with a potential employer where you have the opportunity to briefly and quickly introduce yourself. You are expected to use the limited time available during the meeting to present yourself in the best possible light.
- Additionally, the employer will use the time to rank you by means of the questions being asked. Be calm and level-headed throughout this time.
- Some interviews consist of more than one session. This is a sieving out process to select the best employees. Hiring managers are looking to give the best opportunities to candidates who will be useful and effective employees for the company.
BEFORE GOING ON AN INTERVIEW
- Absolutely take time to research the company where you will be interviewing. The better you know the company, the better your answers will be during the interview.
- Go over the answers to interview questions in your mind. (What are your career goals? Can you talk about yourself? Why should we select you for the position, etc...)
- If any information is requested of you, complete it without any omissions.
- Bring your CV and cover letter with you.
- Wear clothing which is neat and clean but that does not draw undue attention.
THINGS TO WATCH FOR DURING AN INTERVIEW
- Have confidence and project your confidence to your interviewer.
- Show that you are enthusiastic about working.
- Be careful not to use excessive gestures and facial expressions.
- Be polite and businesslike.
- Keep your phone on silent or shut it off.
- If you do not know the answer to some questions, it's ok to say "I don't know."
- Do not check the time during the interview.
- Maintain eye contact with the interviewer.
- Avoid giving misleading personal information about yourself or your career.
FREQUENTLY ASKED INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
- Tell us about yourself.
- Why should we hire you?
- What sets you apart from others?
- Why do you want to work with us?
- What are your career goals?
- Why did you leave your last employer?
- Do you prefer working by yourself or in a team?
- What are your salary expectations?