WHAT IS BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION?
- The bachelor's degree in business administration is based on gaining the skill sets needed to manage business activities effectively (meeting goals) and efficiently (using the least amount of resources possible). The main areas of focus for these activities can be said to be accounting, finance, human resources, marketing, supply chain management and daily operations.
GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT COURSES IN OUR DEPARTMENT
- In addition to core courses, the business administration curriculum generally includes courses in mathematics, statistics, economics, social sciences, and the humanities. Students may latter branch out into sub-specialties such as accounting, finance, human resources, marketing, supply chain management, and daily operations.
- Accounting is concerned with tracking and processing capital activities.
- Finance is concerned with maximizing financial resources.
- Human resources (HR) is concerned with activities such as training, career planning, hiring, and the evaluation of employee performance.
- Marketing is concerned with activities such as strategy and choosing a customer base, product design, pricing, advertising, and product promotion.
- Supply chain management is concerned with stocking, manufacturing plans, and management activities that are more math-intensive and that are more coordinated with specialized software.
WHAT SHOULD I CONSIDER WHEN SELECTING A CAREER IN THIS DEPARTMENT?
- Someone who would like to become a manager must have the capacity to effectively and profitably work in firms and other organizations in a global market environment. Along with having a general level of education, the student should be interested in math and social sciences, and should possess basic computer knowledge and ability.
WHERE CAN I WORK AFTER GRADUATING FROM THIS DEPARTMENT?
- A manager can work in all departments, and should consciously work towards that goal during his or her university education. In addition, an education in business administration can help a student set up his or her own business.
BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION AT ABU
- Since business administration had its start in the USA, it is necessary for business administration students to speak and write English at a very high level so that they can read trade journals in the original English and speak the common language of global trade. As well as offering an excellent education in English, ABU is home to a truly international environment, and this gives students an excellent opportunity to use English in a practical setting. Our faculty have earned their doctorates from the best universities in the world. (For example, one of our faculty members is a graduate of Duke University, which is home to one of the world's foremost business schools and was rated number one this year by Bloomberg). Finally, our students can benefit from the advice and guidance of our faculty when planning their careers.